Community

Written by Sam McGeown on 20/6/2018
Published under Community and VMware
A couple of days ago I saw a tweet from Cody De Arkland showing his new tweaked VMware Clarity based theme on his website. Staying up until 3am to get the brisket on, so what do I do? Work on tuning up https://t.co/YDiFkGIKLY with some better @VMwareClarity styling! Check out the differences below! Subtle changes but I think it's a lot better. Thoughts? pic.twitter.com/6sYnuBahwI — Cody De Arkland (@Codydearkland) June 17, 2018 Cody has gone down the route of using Hugo and AWS, which I respect, but just seems like too much work for me at the moment!
Written by Sam McGeown on 22/5/2018
Published under Community
So…this is a frustrated sort of post. As you are most likely to already know, the new data protection laws (GDPR) are coming into effect on the 25th May 2018. I must emphasise that I am not an expert on GDPR, this post is my layman’s conclusion for my specific circumstances. I run this blog as an exercise to help others, provide information and as a hobby. There is a lot of speculation around how this will affect bloggers, and a lot of panic and mis-information too.
Written by Simon Eady on 5/1/2018
Published under Career and Community
Upon seeing others in the wider community making a blog post like this as a marker in the sand I thought I would follow suit as a way to see what I have learned and goals I would like to achieve in the coming year. 2017 was a good year and a very busy one at that, I got to see a lot of new places on my work travels and met some really amazing, clever and talented people.
Written by Sam McGeown on 24/11/2017
Last Tuesday I had the privilege of presenting an introduction to the NSX APIs on vBrownBag EMEA - you can view the recording below or on vBrownBag’s youtube channel. During the presentation I showed a mind map of the API, which I’ve made available on GitHub in PDF format I’ve also published the Postman collection and environment I used during the demonstration, which covers some basic configuration and deploy tasks:
Written by Simon Eady on 14/9/2017
This was as I expected, the busiest day sessions wise for me. There was so much good stuff I had to be a little ruthless on what I wanted and or needed to attend while also wanting to get into the solutions exchange. Also at the end of the day the customer appreciate party was scheduled so that was something I was looking forward to a great deal (Hint - Kaiser Chiefs)
Written by Sam McGeown on 13/9/2017
Published under Career, Community and VMware
Transforming Networking and Security for the Digital Era Wednesday morning I attended the Network and Security keynote which, if I’m honest, I found to be a bit boring. To be fair, it was probably aimed at business leaders and maybe not those that are technical. There were three customer stories, but I would have liked to have heard much more about the problems that NSX solved for them specifically, rather than being datacenter transformation/cloud journey stories that included NSX.
Written by Sam McGeown on 13/9/2017
I was honoured to be asked to be part of VMware’s CrowdChat for the general sessions this year, the idea being to live-tweet the General Session as it progressed. I’ve tried to embed the session from CrowdChat itself below, but it might be blocked by your browser for running unsafe scripts. You can also see the commentary on the Day Two General Session here. [http://www.via-cc.at/657sc]
Written by Simon Eady on 13/9/2017
Published under Community and vRealize Operations
I managed to dodge the rainstorms in the morning before arriving, the hotel being just across the road from the Venue was a huge help (Thank you Xtravirt) The main session was great particularly HCX announcement and the VR admin demo. I then hit the solutions exchange as soon as it opened. There are all the usual suspects there -except- Cisco (anyone know why?) It was also great to see the guys from Blue Medora.
Written by Simon Eady on 12/9/2017
Sunday Arriving in early on Sunday as the local flight choices are more limited from Bristol than perhaps a larger Airport, very fortunate to have a hotel so close to the VMworld venue, perhaps not so great for the evening activities but I am happy with it this way around. Other than registration (4pm-8pm) and hopefully catching up with a few folk who have also arrived early. In the evening I had the pleasure to meet many awesome people from the vCommunity.
Written by Sam McGeown on 12/9/2017
I was honoured to be asked to be part of VMware’s CrowdChat for the general sessions this year, the idea being to live-tweet the General Session as it progressed. I’ve tried to embed the session from CrowdChat itself below, but it might be blocked by your browser for running unsafe scripts. You can also see the commentary on the Day One General Session here. [http://www.via-cc.at/057s1]